Assistant Professor of Food Bioscience
Position Title: Assistant Professor of Food Bioscience
Posting Number: F238P
Type of position: Tenure Stream
Department/Unit: Plant, Food and Environmental Sciences
The Faculty of Agriculture (https://www.dal.ca/faculty/agriculture.html) is on the Dalhousie University Agricultural Campus, located in Truro, Nova Scotia. The Faculty offers technical, undergraduate, and graduate (M.Sc. & Ph.D.) programs in agriculture, aquaculture, environment, and related life and social science disciplines, and is home to approximately 1,000 students and 50+ professors, including current and past Canada Research Chairs. Dalhousie University is the leading graduate and research university of Atlantic Canada, with more than 18,500 students, including 3,500 in graduate programs, from 115 countries.
The Department of Plant, Food, and Environmental Sciences is home to a vibrant team of scientists and instructors focused on four priority areas: environmental sciences and agroecology, plant and horticultural sciences, food science, and landscape architecture (https://www.dal.ca/faculty/agriculture/plant-food-env.html).
This position will teach and conduct research related to food bioscience and is in support of the Faculty of Agriculture Strategic Plan priorities. The incumbent will develop a nationally and internationally recognized research program uncovering one of the linkages between food macronutrients and human health as well as innovative food processing technologies. The successful applicant will teach subjects related to food bioscience in the certificate, degree- and graduate-level courses using various modes of delivery as needed. The successful applicant is expected to supervise undergraduate honors, graduate students and carry out research in the food bioscience discipline with the intent to publish in scholarly journals. Attracting and maintaining research funding from national, regional, and provincial funding agencies is expected. Building strong connections with the Canadian agri-food industries research and outreach will be critical. The successful applicant must have a strong commitment to teaching, research, and service to the University. The individual must be highly motivated with sound judgment, professionalism, integrity, collegiality, resourcefulness, innovation, self-motivation, and excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and strong organizational skills.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. Dalhousie University is an Employment Equity/Affirmative Action employer. The University encourages applications from qualified Aboriginal people, persons with a disability, racially visible persons, and women.
Dalhousie University recognizes its obligation to accommodate candidates in order to ensure full, fair, and equitable participation in the hiring process. Our complete Accommodation Policy can be viewed online at: https://www.dal.ca/policies.
The successful applicant must have:
· An earned Ph.D. in Food Science, Food Technology, Food Chemistry, or closely related discipline from a recognized university, plus postdoctoral research experience in food bioscience.
· A Bachelor’s degree with a major in Food Science.
· A record of independent and/or collaborative research in food science and publication in high-impact peer-reviewed scholarly journals.
· Demonstrated potential to develop a nationally and internationally recognized research program uncovering one of the linkages between food macronutrients and human health and innovative food processing technologies.
· Demonstrated ability to obtain competitive research grants;
· Evidence of excellence in teaching at the undergraduate level in Food Science or closely related discipline.
· Demonstrated excellence in conducting research and outreach, the ability to supervise graduate student research and HQP training, strong leadership skills.
Desirable assets include:
· Demonstration of professional development related to teaching.
· Experience in teaching international students.
· Interpersonal skills and an ability to work in co-operation with a number of universities -, government-, and industry groups.
A complete application package for this position should include:
· A cover letter summarizing qualifications and experience related to this position (2 pages maximum).
· A detailed CV.
· A prospective research plan which includes your approach to how equity, diversity, and inclusivity (EDI) (3-page maximum).
· A statement on teaching interests, experience, and philosophy, which includes your approach to EDI.
· Reprints of three recent publications related to food bioscience or a closely related discipline.
· Names, addresses, and emails of three references (applicants selected for further consideration will be notified before referees are contacted).
Open Date: 08/19/2021
Close Date: 10/19/2021
Open Until Filled NO
Quick Link for Direct Access to posting:
Position Details http://dal.peopleadmin.ca/postings/5235