Counsellor (Professional), Werklund School of Education
University of Calgary
The Werklund School of Education invites applications for a 3.5 year Contingent Term position as a Counsellor (Professional). The appointments will commence July 1, 2022, or at a mutually agreeable date.
The primary focus of this position is to hold the interests of clinic clients and provide oversight of psycho-educational assessments and counselling interventions offered through the clinic to ensure the client experience meets professional standards of practice; model best-practices in providing practicum supervision for graduate students; and provide leadership in improving clinic services.
The Counsellor (Professional) role applies extensive psychological experience to model best-practices in providing exemplary supervision for graduate students in Educational Psychology (Counselling Psychology and School and Applied Child Psychology). The Counsellor (Professional) role coaches, supervises, and mentors the clinic team in collaboration with the clinic leadership. Specifically, this role is responsible for supervising the work of graduate students in the Master of Science, Master of Education, and PhD programs as well as provisional psychologists.
The ISE clinic is an important part of the Werklund School of Education Centre for Wellbeing in Education. This position works collaboratively with others to realize the Centre's principles and goals and providing feedback on student practicum and internship experiences.
• Doctoral degree in School and Applied Child Psychology, Counselling Psychology, or Clinical Psychology
• Current Professional designation as a Registered Psychologist is a requirement.
• 3-5 years related experience preferred
• Demonstrated ability to work with diverse groups of people using an intersectional lens.
• Knowledge and understanding of educational context are preferred.
• 5+ years psycho-educational assessment experience with children, youth, and transition-age youth (ages 4-25)
• 5+ years counselling experience with children, youth, and transition-age youth (ages 4-25)
Please submit your application online via the 'Apply Now' link at https://careers.ucalgary.ca/jobs/9473996-counsellor-professional-werklund-school-of-education. Please be aware that the application process allows for only four attachments. The four attachments should be organized to contain the following (which may require you to merge documents):
• A curriculum vitae
• A statement outlining experience in counselling interventions, psycho-educational assessments and working with practicum students
• Evidence of collaboration/engagement with professional and other communities
• A brief description of present and aspiring contributions to the field
• The names of and contact information for three professional referees
• Functions as an independent, responsible professional in accordance with professional codes of ethics. Consults and collaborates with graduate program academic and other staff within an inter-professional model.
• Provides oversight of psycho-educational assessments and counselling interventions and
• Provides supervision for the clinic student clinicians to provide excellence in professional practice and enable quality, patient and family-centered care and providing psycho-educational services to individuals, families, and groups. This role involves supervision related to a range of assessment, mental health (psychosocial, and psychological interventions), and other activities.
• Works with members of the interdisciplinary team in support of effective professional and collaborative practice
• Contributes to the planning, implementation and evaluation of services and address gaps in clinical practice
• Observes clinical sessions, review clinical documentation and written reports, conduct team case consultations and offer support, and provide guidance and direction to students with challenging and urgent cases in a timely manner.
• Coaches and/or mentors graduate students (e.g., GATs or student hires)
• Supervises provisional psychologists requiring supervision to meet regulatory requirements for practice
• Participates in continuing professional education, as required by the scientist/practitioner model and professional code of ethics, particularly as it relates to supporting practicum students¿ mental health
• Engages in program development to support practicum student well-being.
• Contributes to the Integrated Services in Education Clinic, the Centre for Wellbeing in Education, the University and community at large as an active member of committees/task forces or other service-related activities.
Application Deadline: June 06, 2022
The University of Calgary has launched an institution-wide Indigenous Strategy in line with the foundational goals of Eyes High, committing to creating a rich, vibrant, and culturally competent campus that welcomes and supports Indigenous Peoples, encourages Indigenous community partnerships, is inclusive of Indigenous perspectives in all that we do.
As an equitable and inclusive employer, the University of Calgary recognizes that a diverse staff/faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research experiences of the entire campus and greater community. We are committed to removing barriers that have been historically encountered by some people in our society. We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our diversity and will support their academic and professional success while they are here. In particular, we encourage members of the designated groups (women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible/racialized minorities, and diverse sexual orientation and gender identities) to apply. To ensure a fair and equitable assessment, we offer accommodation at any stage during the recruitment process to applicants with disabilities. Questions regarding [diversity] EDI at UCalgary can be sent to the Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (firstname.lastname@example.org) and requests for accommodations can be sent to Human Resources (email@example.com).
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. In this connection, at the time of your application, please answer the following question: Are you a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada? (Yes/No)
To learn more about academic opportunities at the University of Calgary and all we have to offer, view our Academic Careers website. For more information visit Careers in the Werklund School of Education.
The University strongly recommends all faculty and staff are fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
About the University of Calgary
The University of Calgary is Canada’s leading next-generation university – a living, growing and youthful institution that embraces change and opportunity with a can-do attitude. Located in the nation’s most enterprising city, the university is making tremendous progress on its Eyes High journey to be recognized as one of Canada’s top five research universities, grounded in innovative learning and teaching and fully integrated with the community it both serves and leads. The University of Calgary inspires and supports discovery, creativity and innovation across all disciplines. For more information, visit ucalgary.ca.
About Calgary, Alberta
Calgary is one of the world's cleanest cities and has been named one of the world's most livable cities for years. Calgary is a city of leaders - in business, community, philanthropy and volunteerism. Calgarians benefit from a growing number of world-class dining and cultural events and enjoy more days of sunshine per year than any other major Canadian city. Calgary is less than an hour's drive from the majestic Rocky Mountains and boasts the most extensive urban pathway and bikeway network in North America.