Cree Language Instructor
University College of the North
CREE LANGUAGE INSTRUCTOR
Classification: University Instructor
Full-Time Regular Position
University College of the North (UCN) is committed to building a workforce that is representative of the populations we serve. Applications are invited from individuals who have a demonstrated interest and ability to work with Indigenous learners and mature students.
The Position: University College of the North requires a University Instructor to teach into the Aboriginal and Northern Studies program at the Thompson Campus. Reporting to the Dean of Faculty of Arts, Business and Science, Instructors are responsible for the development and delivery of culturally relevant curriculum and assessment methods and for evaluation of student performance relating to their teaching assignments. In addition to teaching duties, the Instructor will be responsible for related duties including classroom management, student supervision, maintenance of student records and grades, curriculum refinement and other administrative activities.
• Master’s degree in Aboriginal/Northern Studies or relevant combination of education and experience
• Ability to speak the Cree language fluently
• Experience in both oratory and linguistic approaches to Cree language instruction
• Experience teaching in an online/virtual environment using various Learning Management Systems (Adobe, Zoom, D2L, etc.)
• Demonstrated creative and culturally relevant instructional practices with adults and Indigenous learners
• Strong organizational skills
• Strong critical thinking and leadership skills
• Excellent time management skills
• Effective communication skills
• Effective interpersonal skills
• Demonstrated ability to understand and deal with issues specific to Indigenous learners and mature students in northern Manitoba
• Personal experience and/or knowledge and understanding of Indigenous cultures
• PhD in Aboriginal/Northern Studies
• Demonstrated experience teaching Indigenous and adult learners at the post-secondary level
Conditions of Employment:
• Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada
• Candidates must have a valid driver’s license
Applicants must provide a cover letter, CV, references and a teaching dossier with their application.
Applicants must demonstrate on their cover letter how they meet the qualifications.
Representative Workforce (formerly employment equity) is a factor in the selection process. Preference will be given to Indigenous candidates. Applicants are invited to indicate in their covering letter or résumé if they are from any of the following groups: Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, or women and men in non-traditional roles. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Competition Number: 21-031
Closing Date: June 18, 2021; however, will remain open until filled
Salary Range: $31.96 to $47.46 hourly, plus remoteness allowance
Apply to: University College of the North, Attention: Human Resources
P.O. Box 3000
The Pas MB R9A 1M7
Fax: (204) 623-4414
Email: email@example.com (preferred format)
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Application materials, including letters of reference, will be handled in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Legislation (Manitoba). Human Resources will work with applicants who require accommodation during the application or the interview process. For more information and other employment opportunities, visit www.ucn.ca.