Dean of Arts
Concordia University of Edmonton
Concordia University of Edmonton (CUE) is a boutique university, small enough where every student is essential yet large enough for a global outlook. We are constantly seeking the right balance between teaching and research, between specialization and adventurousness. Our ultimate goal has not changed since 1921: to be more than students and professors, to create a community of active citizens, of good and honourable people.
CUE is a rapidly evolving institution, aiming to become Canada’s pre-eminent small university, and are currently seeking candidates for the position of Dean of Arts. This renewable term position, which offers substantial opportunities to lead and grow an already successful Faculty in alignment with the 2018-23 Academic Plan https://concordia.ab.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/CUE_AcademicPlan-Spreads-Digital_FINAL.pdf, is available to begin July 1, 2020.
The Faculty of Arts is the largest faculty on campus, comprising the following departments: Fine Arts, Literature and Language, Philosophy and Religious Studies, Psychology, and Social Sciences. Students may take a range of undergraduate degrees, with each department offering 4-year majors, 3-year concentrations and minors. CUE students also have a unique international dual degrees option, and our university’s first doctorate (in Applied Psychology) is currently under development. Further information about the Faculty can be found here: https://concordia.ab.ca/arts/
Reporting to the Vice-President Academic and Provost, the Dean of Arts will promote a high standard of instruction, research, and community service in the context of a collaborative environment growing the diversity of our faculty, staff, and students.
• Manage the day to day operations of the faculty. Such activities include:
o Supervise direct reports (department chairs, administrative assistant),
o Recruit qualified sessional instructors to complement faculty,
o Deal with student concerns and issues, and
o Serve as budget control officer for the Faculty;
• Support the research activities of faculty members in support of the academic mission;
• Develop new programs at both the undergraduate and graduate levels;
• Develop and nurture partnerships with external stakeholders such as other post-secondary institutions, international partners, not-for-profit organizations, individuals, accrediting bodies, and all levels of government;
• Actively participate and collaborate as a member of senior management in the leadership of the Faculty and institution;
• Lead in a diverse and changing environment while engaging others in shaping that environment; and
• Provide regular updates, including written reports and data collection, to the Vice-President Academic and Provost, and senior administration.
• A doctorate (or terminal degree in the field) in a related discipline, with a solid record of success as a teacher and researcher, who qualifies for an academic appointment with the rank of Associate or Full Professor;
• An understanding of program development, review, and renewal;
• Strong leadership and interpersonal skills;
• A critical thinker with the ability to thrive in a collaborative, diverse environment;
• Effective strategic planner, with strong organization and process skills;
• Excellent listening, oral, and written communication skills;
• A solid record of building relationships with external and internal partners, with evidence of having built opportunities for potential sources of funding and support; and
• A highly engaged leader who seeks out opportunities, develops new possibilities, and implements them effectively.
• Knowledge of Concordia University of Edmonton’s culture, opportunities, and stakeholders would be considered an asset.
• Candidates will be required to complete an employment and criminal records check to the satisfaction of Concordia University of Edmonton.
Application Date: Applications will be accepted until October 31, 2019.
Application packages should be sent to the address below, and must include:
• Curriculum vitae;
• A statement of citizenship/immigration status;
• Transcripts of all graduate-level courses;
• A list of refereed publications;
• A teaching portfolio including a statement on teaching philosophy;
• Recent student evaluations;
• A statement describing past experience in activities that promote diversity and inclusion, broadly understood, and/or plans to make future contributions; and
• Three confidential professional and/or post-secondary letters of reference forwarded to the following address under separate cover by the referees.
Concordia University of Edmonton
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Concordia is an equal-opportunity employer. Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.