Dean of Arts & Sciences
St. Mary's University
ABOUT ST. MARY’S UNIVERSITY:
St. Mary’s University is an innovative teaching and research university that provides affordable, accredited and highly valued degrees in the Liberal Arts, Sciences and Education. St. Mary’s is the only unaffiliated Catholic university in western Canada and celebrates over 30 years as an educational institution.
Located on a historic site in Calgary, Alberta, our students are inspired to combine academics with a passionate commitment to ethics, social justice and respect for diversity of opinion and belief. St. Mary’s has over 1200 full- and part-time students, 150 full- and part-time faculty and staff, and an average class size of 25. The university has grown by 40% in the last five years alone. Teaching load is to be determined in consultation with the VPA and faculty members.
For more information about St Mary’s please see www.stmu.ca
The Dean works directly and closely with internal and external stakeholders associated with St. Mary’s University (StMU) to support and advocate for the Arts and Sciences. The Dean leads and collaborates with faculty in regards to excellence in teaching and research in the Arts and Sciences programs, including natural and mathematical sciences, social sciences, humanities, and interdisciplinary studies. The Dean is a member of the senior leadership team and reports to the Vice-President Academic. This is a five-year renewable term and is subject to final budgetary approval.
• Provide a vision to the faculty, foster community, and encourage professionalism and collegiality in faculty.
• Develop a dynamic culture of scholarship that encourages excellence and innovation and enriches the student learning experience.
• Foster a student culture of inclusion and growth.
• Consult with area chairs and program coordinators to oversee the workload and prioritize the interests of the areas, including resource allocation.
• Oversee academic and professional processes governed by the collective agreement between the Board of Governors and the Faculty Association.
• Ensure that the Arts and Sciences programs are aligned with administrative and provincial trends, policies, and procedures and adhere to accreditation standards.
• Develop and implement budgets in accordance with StMU standards and guidelines.
• Oversee development and implementation for all Arts & Sciences courses and programs.
• Oversee the development of the Arts & Sciences timetable.
• Prepare internal and external reports.
• Chair the Faculty of Arts and Sciences Council.
• Provide faculty with opportunities for advancement and promote an intellectual and cooperative atmosphere conducive to professional growth.
• Teaching load is to be determined in consultation with the VPA and faculty members.
• PhD or equivalent in a field relevant to Arts and Sciences with the ability to teach in a discipline offered at StMU, credentials necessary for faculty status, and a strong record of teaching and scholarship.
• Relevant administrative experience including performance evaluation, project management, digitized budgeting and reporting systems.
• An understanding of the current provincial funding landscape and opportunities.
• A leader in institutional strategic planning and implementation.
• Ability to work in a collegial manner with faculty, staff, and students
St. Mary's University offers a competitive compensation package and comprehensive benefits program. Compensation will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Interested candidates should address a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and the contact information for three referees to: email@example.com with the Subject Line of: “Dean, Arts & Sciences” by end of day on November 15, 2020. The cover letter should reference the applicant’s leadership philosophy, and include a brief overview of teaching and research experience.
St. Mary’s University hires on the basis of merit, is committed to employment equity, and encourages all qualified individuals to apply. We encourage applications from women, Aboriginal Peoples, visible minorities, ethnic minorities, and persons with disabilities. Canadians and permanent residents of Canada will be given priority. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those applicants being interviewed will be contacted. If you require accommodations during any part of the process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
St. Mary's University • 14500 Bannister Road SE • Calgary, AB • T2X 1Z4 • Fax: 403.254.3774 • STMU.ca