Director for Equity, Diversity and Inclusive Engagement
University of Ontario Institute of Technology
The Director for Equity, Diversity and Inclusive Engagement is a senior level position, created to provide strategic leadership that will effect change in equity, diversity and inclusion across the university. This newly created role reports directly to the Provost, reflecting the strategic importance of the portfolio. This role is critical to Ontario Tech University’s goal of being a leader in equity, diversity and inclusion and creating a culture driven by these core values. Further, this position will help ensure that principles of equity are central to the development and implementation of the University’s strategy, action plan, policies and operating principles.
• Provide leadership for the University in the area of equity, diversity and inclusion to create systemic change and position the University as a leader in equity, diversity and inclusion.
• Build strong relationships with university stakeholders to drive equity initiatives in order to establish a comprehensive integrated university-wide equity, diversity and inclusion framework.
• Lead the development and implementation of equity, diversity and inclusion learning, education and resource development initiatives at the University.
• Oversee the implementation of a university wide self-assessment process, including systematic review, comparative review and information gathering to provide evidenced based decision making, ongoing monitoring and continuous improvement.
• Lead the application, implementation and monitoring processes for the University’s “made in Canada Athena SWAN” certification.
• Lead the development and implementation of a university wide equity diversity and inclusion action plan. This includes, working closely with the Office of Research Services to implement the CRC equity plan and advance equity in research.
The key functions of this portfolio are to:
• Develop and promote a strategic approach to advance equity, diversity and inclusion at the University, including a communications plan.
• Evaluate and enhance University policies, procedures and practices to address equity.
• Provide consultation and advice on equity, diversity and inclusion issues, as appropriate.
• Identify and address systemic issues across the organization.
• Develop equitable recruitment and retention strategies.
• Deliver learning and awareness programs on equity-related matters.
• Demonstrated ability to lead strategic plan development and implementation of operational plan.
• Skilled in conducting environmental surveys and cultural assessments.
• Demonstrated understanding of data acquisition and analysis to inform cultural change.
• Ability to develop diversity, equity and inclusion facilitation sessions and training strategies.
• A collaborative, relationship-building mindset.
• A strong understanding of social justice, systemic issues related to equity, diversity and inclusion and other relevant frameworks.
• The professional confidence and communication skills to effectively engage university stakeholders in dialogue that can often be contentious or delicate;
• Strong interpersonal skills with the capacity to listen effectively and sensitively to a broad range of diverse stakeholders;
• The ability to conduct research of superior quality on improving equity at research intensive universities;
• Advanced experience with Microsoft Office programs, SharePoint, Adobe Acrobat Professional, and/or other data content management systems, quantitative and qualitative research design and methodologies.
• Master’s Degree in Higher Education, Student Affairs, Social Justice, Diversity and Race Relations, Multicultural Education, or related degree is required.
• Knowledge of educational and employment equity issues in higher education with an understanding of academic culture (faculty tenure and career progression processes, and the ability to appreciate and support diversity of thought, background, interests and activities).
• At least ten years’ professional experience, post-graduate experience designing and advancing equity and inclusion initiatives;
• Strong ability to multi-task and complete project deliverables in a complex and diverse environment;
• Team building skills and a proven capacity to work in a collegial and constructive manner as both a team member and leader, with senior administration, faculty, staff and students, and with constituencies both internal and external to the university.
• Broad understanding and inclusive approach to building consensus and solving problems creatively; A demonstrated equitable, intelligent, perceptive approach to problem-solving within an academic/institutional environment;
• Demonstrated experience working effectively with individuals and groups from a variety of cultures and backgrounds;
• Past success with organizational change, including policy, procedural and behavioral change, and in creating consultative and collaborative networks internally and externally;
• Ability to capture relevant data, provide analysis and conduct statistical analysis.
• High level of energy and commitment, with the ability to remain motivated and focused in a high paced environment;
• Demonstrated experience with the development, planning, implementation and evaluation of programs
• Strong organizational and interpersonal skills, including excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Advanced content expertise and knowledge of research findings/best practices in the EDI landscape
• Analytical writing and research skills and the demonstrated ability to articulate research findings and statistical analyses.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit via email a covering letter and resume to the attention of Sarah Cruz at email@example.com .
Applications will be accepted until a suitable candidate is found. We appreciate all applications received; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Ontario Tech University is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from women, members of visible minorities, Indigenous peoples and persons with disabilities. Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority in the hiring process.
Ontario Tech University respects applicant’s differing needs and therefore will take all reasonable steps to ensure accommodation for applicants. If you require an accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please notify the Human Resources Department.