Instructor in Global Management, Haskayne School of Business
University of Calgary
We would like to take this opportunity to acknowledge the traditional territories of the people of the Treaty 7 region in Southern Alberta. The City of Calgary is also home to Métis Nation of Alberta, Region III.
The Haskayne School of Business (HSB) at the University of Calgary invites applications for a Tenure Track Instructor position in the area of Business Law. The successful candidate is expected to teach eight course sections per year at the undergraduate and graduate levels. The proposed start date is August 2022, with an option to negotiate an earlier or later start.
All candidates must have:
• A JD or LLB, with a Master's or PhD degree in a relevant area (e.g., Law or Business) completed or in process by the time of hire
• A combination of law and business expertise (an MBA or equivalent degree, or significant business experience in addition to a Law degree)
• Expertise in Canadian business law, with an ability to tie it to business practices and operations
• Experience teaching in the area of business law at the post-secondary level, with a proven track record of effective and innovative pedagogy (e.g., excellent student evaluations)
• Proficiency in online instruction and expertise in the use of virtual learning resources and practices is an asset
• Relevant professional credentials (e.g., professional accreditation; membership in provincial law societies; admission to the Bar)
• Evidence of successful teamwork and a collegial approach to interacting with colleagues, students and other stakeholders
• Commitment to continuous learning and professional development
Expected duties include:
• Teaching undergraduate and graduate SGMA courses in the area of Business Law;
• Actively participating in projects related to teaching and learning, curriculum development, and implementation, as needed;
• Participating in activities related to the study of teaching and learning (e.g., teaching and learning research; writing case studies; disseminating research to professional communities).
Accredited by AACSB International, the Haskayne School of Business is a progressive and innovative business school. Our mission is to create and communicate knowledge of critical significance, while contributing to the development of our students as leaders of moral character with professional ability equal to the best in their field. With 3,500 full and part-time students currently enrolled in bachelor's, master's, PhD, DBA and executive education programs, the business school boasts more than 18,000 alumni in 60 countries around the globe.
Interested individuals are encouraged to submit an application online through the University of Calgary career website via the 'Apply Now' link at https://careers.ucalgary.ca/jobs/9473995-instructor-in-strategy-and-global-management-haskayne-school-of-business. Applicants should submit a single pdf file, including an application letter, curriculum vitae, a statement of teaching philosophy, and copies of research papers if applicable. Shortlisted candidates will be asked to provide three letters of reference.
Questions may be addressed to:
Dr. Liena Kano, Chair, Strategy and Global Management Area Recruiting Committee
Haskayne School of Business, University of Calgary
2500 University Drive N.W.
Canada T2N 1N4
Application Deadline: June 06, 2022
The University of Calgary has launched an institution-wide Indigenous Strategy in line with the foundational goals of Eyes High, committing to creating a rich, vibrant, and culturally competent campus that welcomes and supports Indigenous Peoples, encourages Indigenous community partnerships, is inclusive of Indigenous perspectives in all that we do.
As an equitable and inclusive employer, the University of Calgary recognizes that a diverse staff/faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research experiences of the entire campus and greater community. We are committed to removing barriers that have been historically encountered by some people in our society. We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our diversity and will support their academic and professional success while they are here. In particular, we encourage members of the designated groups (women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible/racialized minorities, and diverse sexual orientation and gender identities) to apply. To ensure a fair and equitable assessment, we offer accommodation at any stage during the recruitment process to applicants with disabilities. Questions regarding [diversity] EDI at UCalgary can be sent to the Office of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (email@example.com) and requests for accommodations can be sent to Human Resources (firstname.lastname@example.org).
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. In this connection, at the time of your application, please answer the following question: Are you a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada? (Yes/No)
To learn more about academic opportunities at the University of Calgary and all we have to offer, view our Academic Careers website. For more information visit Careers in the Haskayne School of Business.
The University strongly recommends all faculty and staff are fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
About the University of Calgary
The University of Calgary is Canada’s leading next-generation university – a living, growing and youthful institution that embraces change and opportunity with a can-do attitude. Located in the nation’s most enterprising city, the university is making tremendous progress on its Eyes High journey to be recognized as one of Canada’s top five research universities, grounded in innovative learning and teaching and fully integrated with the community it both serves and leads. The University of Calgary inspires and supports discovery, creativity and innovation across all disciplines. For more information, visit ucalgary.ca.
About Calgary, Alberta
Calgary is one of the world's cleanest cities and has been named one of the world's most livable cities for years. Calgary is a city of leaders - in business, community, philanthropy and volunteerism. Calgarians benefit from a growing number of world-class dining and cultural events and enjoy more days of sunshine per year than any other major Canadian city. Calgary is less than an hour's drive from the majestic Rocky Mountains and boasts the most extensive urban pathway and bikeway network in North America.