University College of the North
Classification: Librarian 3
Full-Time Regular Position
University College of the North (UCN) is committed to building a workforce that is representative of the populations we serve. Applications are invited from individuals who have a demonstrated interest and ability to work with Indigenous learners and mature students.
The Position: The Librarian is responsible for the ongoing management of the library and for the supervision of library staff as per University College policy and direction. The Librarian is also responsible to provide information, literacy and research training to students, staff and faculty at UCN.
• Masters in Library Science or equivalent education and experience
• Experience in an Academic Library
• Experience administering databases and websites
• Experience working with minimal supervision
• Supervisory experience including delegation and instruction/training
• Experience working with Library Automation Systems
• Experience with collection development
• Experience with cataloguing
• Experience/training with Database/LibGuides
• Proficiency in MS Office (Excel, Work, PowerPoint, Publisher)
• Effective interpersonal skills
• Effective communication skills
• Effective organizational skills
• Effective time management skills (setting priorities and critical thinking)
• Personal experience and/or knowledge and understanding of Indigenous cultures
• Demonstrated ability to understand issues specific to Indigenous learners and mature students in northern communities
• The ability to speak an Indigenous language
• Experience with library instruction
• Experience with information/data literacy instruction
• Knowledge or experience working with Evergreen software or similar Library software
• Degree or college courses in Canadian History, English, French or computer software, etc.
Conditions of Employment:
• Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada
Applicants must provide a cover letter, resume, and a list of references with their application.
Applicants must demonstrate on their cover letter and their resume how they meet the qualifications.
Representative Workforce is a factor in the selection process. Preference will be given to Indigenous candidates. Applicants are invited to indicate in their covering letter or résumé if they are from any of the following groups: Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, or women and men in non-traditional roles. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Competition Number: 21-028
Closing Date: May 28, 2021; however, will remain open until filled
Salary Range: $33.22 to $40.78 hourly, plus remoteness allowance
Apply to: University College of the North, Attention: Human Resources
P.O. Box 3000
The Pas MB R9A 1M7
Fax: (204) 623-4414
Email: email@example.com (preferred format)
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application materials, including letters of reference, will be handled in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Legislation (Manitoba). Human Resources will work with applicants who require accommodation during the application or the interview process. For more information and other employment opportunities, visit www.ucn.ca.