Limited Term Instructors, Faculty of Nursing
University of Calgary
The Faculty of Nursing at the University of Calgary is seeking applications for Limited Term Nursing Instructors.
Key elements of the position include practice education within the Undergraduate Program in clinical agency settings, classroom, on-campus labs and simulation labs. We are seeking applicants with nursing practice experience in acute care settings, particularly those with previous nursing education experience. The contract may range from a minimum of 12 months to approximately 2 years in duration. The comprehensive benefits plan includes tuition support and possibility of scholarships to pursue a MN degree. Limited Term Instructors are provided with exceptional orientation, mentorship, and ongoing professional development.
Preference will be given to internal candidates currently holding sessional appointments within the Faculty. The posting may be used to fill more than one appointment. The appointments will preferably commence on September 1, 2019.
Practice education takes place both on and off campus. Scheduling varies depending on the semester and may include a combination of days and evening shifts, Monday through Friday.
• Work effectively with small groups of students on-campus or in off campus settings in acute care
• Create and maintain respectful and inclusive learning environments for clinical practice education
• Implement teaching and learning strategies that facilitate active learning, are appropriate to meet learner needs, and achieve desired learner outcomes aligned with curriculum
• Foster professionalization for learners by stimulating learners¿ self-reflection, personal goal setting and socialization within the role of the nurse
• Facilitate low to high-fidelity simulation and experiential learning activities
• Participate in team meetings related to the practice course and faculty governance
• Participate in student assessment and evaluations on and off campus
• Seek excellence in teaching by applying a variety of teaching strategies and engaging effectively with colleagues for peer mentoring
• Encourage and foster an environment of inquiry and valuing of evidence informed practice
• Engage and consult with managers and staff employed by agencies that provide clinical placement opportunities to build constructive academic-clinical partnerships
Candidates must be eligible for registration with the College and Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta. A Master's degree is normally required and preferred, although candidates with BN/BScN preparation may be considered.
• Current practice experience related to semester focus
• Broad experience across a variety of acute care areas
• Experience in clinical teaching, mentoring and supervision of students
• Application of adult teaching/learning principles
• Use of nursing process and conceptual frameworks for assessment, planning, intervention, evaluation
• Communication and collaboration skills with other health professionals
• Teamwork and leadership skills
• Prioritizing and meeting competing demands/requirements of varied settings
• Computer skills in word processing, email and internet access
Qualified applicants should submit a letter of interest along with a current CV by applying online via the 'Apply Now' link (see full link below):
Dr. Catherine Laing, Associate Dean, Undergraduate Program
Faculty of Nursing
University of Calgary, PF2274
2500 University Drive NW
Calgary, AB T2N 1N4
Application Deadline is May 10, 2019.
To learn more about academic opportunities at the University of Calgary and all we have to offer, view our Academic Careers website.
View full job posting and apply: https://careers.ucalgary.ca/jobs/3828929-limited-term-instructors-faculty-of-nursing?tm_job=18010-1A&tm_event=view&tm_company=1828&bid=2791
The University of Calgary recognizes that a diverse staff/faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research experiences of the entire campus and greater community. We are committed to removing barriers that have been historically encountered by some people in our society. We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our diversity and will support their academic and professional success while they are here. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. In this connection, at the time of your application, please answer the following question: Are you a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada? (Yes/No)