Assistant Professor level, Mathematical Modelling
The Department of Mathematics and Statistics of the Faculty of Science at York University invites highly qualified applicants for a professorial stream tenure-track appointment in Mathematical Modelling at the Assistant Professor level, to commence July 1, 2023.
The Department views this position as a key step towards continuing to build York University into one of the top universities in Canada for applied mathematics in research reputation and in post-doctoral, graduate, and undergraduate training. Our vision is for applied mathematics to create a vibrant atmosphere among the students and the faculty while maintaining the highest standard in research productivity that will further raise the reputation and prestige of York University.
• Degree: PhD
• Research/Practice Expertise:
o The successful candidate will be expected to engage in outstanding, innovative, and externally funded research at the highest level.
o Candidates must show promise of research excellence of a recognized international caliber as demonstrated in the research statement; a record of publications (or forthcoming publications) in top-ranked and field-relevant journals; presentations at major conferences; awards and accolades; and strong recommendations from referees of high standing.
o Promise of excellence in teaching, as evident in: the teaching statement; teaching accomplishments and pedagogical innovations (e.g., high priority areas such as experiential education and technology enhanced learning); teaching evaluations (optional); strong letters of reference.
o The position will involve graduate teaching and supervision, as well as undergraduate teaching and the successful candidate must be suitable for prompt appointment to the Faculty of Graduate Studies.
• Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
• All York University positions are subject to budgetary approval.
• All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens, permanent residents and Indigenous peoples in Canada will be given priority.
• York University has a policy on Accommodation in Employment for Persons with Disabilities and is committed to working towards a barrier-free workplace and to expanding the accessibility of the workplace to persons with disabilities. Candidates who require accommodation during the selection process are invited to contact the chair of the search committee at email@example.com.
• York University is an Affirmative Action (AA) employer and strongly values diversity, including gender and sexual diversity, within its community. The AA Program, which applies to women, members of racialized groups, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities and those who self-identify as 2SLGBTQ+, can be found at www.yorku.ca/acadjobs or by calling the AA line at 416-736-5713. Applicants wishing to self-identify as part of York University’s Affirmative Action program can do so by downloading, completing and submitting this voluntary self-identification form.
• Due date for completed applications: November 1, 2022.
• Required components: 1) cover letter; 2) current CV; 3) research statement; 4) teaching statement; 5) teaching dossier; and 6) three letters of reference.
• Candidates must also download, complete, and submit a Work Status Declaration form. This is a mandatory form, and no application will be considered without it.
• Submit materials at https://www.mathjobs.org/jobs/list/20430.
• York University is a leading international teaching and research university, and a driving force for positive change. Empowered by a welcoming and diverse community with a uniquely global perspective, we are preparing our students for their long-term careers and personal success. Together, we can make things right for our communities, our planet and our future.
• York University is in Toronto, Canada’s largest city and one of the world’s most diverse. In 2022, Forbes named Toronto one of the Ten Best Cities to Live. York is accessible by subway.