Tenure-track ASSISTANT PROFESSOR in SCIENCE EDUCATION (Preferential Search)
University of Victoria
The Department of Curriculum and Instruction invites applications for a tenure-track preferential position at the Assistant Professor rank in the teaching and research area of Science Education, to commence January 1, 2023. The science area is part of the University of Victoria’s strong undergraduate teacher preparation program and makes important contributions to graduate studies. This position offers unique opportunities at both undergraduate and graduate levels for enhancing and creating science education programs. We are seeking an innovative educator/researcher with expertise in the field of science education with focus on elementary school education.
The University of Victoria is consistently ranked in the top tier of Canada’s research-intensive universities. Vital impact drives the UVic sense of purpose. As an internationally renowned teaching and research hub, we tackle essential issues that matter to people, places and the planet. Situated in the Pacific Rim, our location breeds a profound passion for exploration. Defined by its edges, this extraordinary environment inspires us to defy boundaries, discover, and innovate in exciting ways. It’s different here, naturally and by design. We live, learn, work and explore on the edge of what’s next—for our planet and its peoples. Our commitment to research-inspired dynamic learning and vital impact make this Canada’s most extraordinary environment for discovery and innovation. Experience the edge of possibilities for yourself.
Curriculum and Instruction is a dynamic department committed to promoting the diverse interests and expertise of its faculty. Department members engage in a broad range of multidisciplinary and collaborative research and are dedicated to providing exemplary teaching for learners. In addition to undergraduate teacher education programs, the department offers a Minor in Education, Master of Education, Master of Arts, and Doctor of Philosophy programs. Faculty are also active in service to the university and larger community.
In accordance with the University’s Equity Plan and pursuant to Section 42 of the BC Human Rights Code, preference will be given to members of the following groups: Indigenous Peoples and/or persons with disabilities and/or members of visible minorities. Candidates from these groups, who wish to qualify for preferential consideration, must self-identify and are asked to do so in their cover letter.
What you will do:
• Design and deliver high quality undergraduate courses in elementary and middle years science education via face-to-face, online, and blended formats;
• Design and deliver high quality graduate courses in science education via face-to-face, online, and blended formats;
• Develop innovative and high-quality curriculum (undergraduate and graduate) in science education;
• Establish an active program of high-quality fundable research; and,
• Make an active and substantial contribution to university, professional, and community engaged service.
What we are looking for (success criteria):
1. A PhD or EdD in science education;
2. Evidence of successful classroom teaching experience in science education at the elementary and/or middle school level;
3. An upward research trajectory in science education;
4. Experience in working collaboratively with diverse school populations and/or community groups to support the development of innovative teaching practices in science education;
5. Evidence of including principles of equity, diversity, inclusion and decolonizing (EDID) in practice and understandings; and the
6. Capacity and interest in working both independently and in teams.
Additional criteria (not required but an asset):
1. Evidence of quality post-secondary teaching (particularly in pre-service teacher education programs);
2. Commitment to enacting inclusive practices within diverse populations;
3. Interest/experience in working in cross-disciplinary teaching and/or research teams; and the
4. Ability to teach in additional area(s) within teacher education programs.
UVic is committed to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion in our living, learning and work environments. In pursuit of our values, we seek members who will work respectfully and constructively with differences and across levels of power. We actively encourage applications from members of groups experiencing barriers to equity. Read our full equity statement here: www.uvic.ca/equitystatement
The University acknowledges the potential impact that career interruptions can have on a candidate’s record of research achievement. We encourage applicants to explain in their application the impact that career interruptions have had on their record.
Persons with disabilities, who anticipate needing accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, may contact Faculty Relations and Academic Administration in the Office of the VP Academic and Provost at FRrecruit@uvic.ca. Any personal information provided will be maintained in confidence.
Faculty and Librarians at the University of Victoria are governed by the provisions of the Collective Agreement. Members are represented by the University of Victoria Faculty Association (www.uvicfa.ca).
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; in accordance with Canadian Immigration requirements, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. Please indicate in your application package if you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
Applications should include:
• A cover letter (maximum 2-pages);
• Current curriculum vitae;
• 1-page statement of teaching interests, orientation, and philosophy;
• 1-page statement of research interests, orientation, and philosophy; and the
• Names of three academic and/or area-related referees.
Please note that reference and background checks, including credential and degree verification, may be undertaken as part of this recruitment process.
The Committee will begin to review applications on September 16, 2022 and applications will no longer be accepted for consideration after September 30, 2022.
Please submit your application to:
Todd Milford, PhD
Chair, Department of Curriculum & Instruction
Faculty of Education
University of Victoria
PO Box 1700 STN CSC
Victoria, BC V8W 2Y2
Fax: (250) 721-7598