Vice-President, Research and Graduate Studies
Brandon University (BU) is currently accepting applications for the inaugural position of Vice-President, Research and Graduate Studies. We are seeking a dynamic and experienced leader who will provide leadership in research and graduate studies at Manitoba’s third largest university. Brandon University is the intellectual heart of western Manitoba. As such, the Vice-President, Research and Graduate Studies plays a critical role in supporting and developing excellence and infrastructure for research and graduate level teaching and learning at BU.
Brandon University enjoys a long and storied history as an institution of higher education. First as a college and since 1967 as a University, BU is a mature institution. With faculty from around the world and a strong cohort of international and domestic students, we serve not just our region but Canada and beyond. Brandon University has a strong culture of research, from faculty, post-doctoral fellows, graduate students and undergraduates. Our smaller class size provides opportunities to work with professors that are not readily available in larger institutions. Each faculty provides opportunities for master’s studies and there is an appetite to build on this strong base and further develop graduate programming.
Brandon University highly values diversity, inclusion and equity. We are committed to redressing the wrongs of settler colonization inflicted upon Indigenous peoples, and we work in collaboration with Indigenous communities to implement strategies to eliminate educational gaps between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Canadians, in line with the Calls to Action of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada. We welcome diversity in all its forms with the knowledge that more and different voices create a better community.
Brandon University is committed to improving equity and diversity among University employees and particularly within leadership. In accordance with the University’s Equity Plan, preference will be given to individuals who may contribute to the diversification of the University, especially those who are Black, Indigenous, People of Colour, women and non-binary gender expression individuals. Candidates from these groups are encouraged to self-identify. Canadian citizens and permanent residents are given priority. Evidence of citizenship must be provided.
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment. This starts with the hiring process. If you require an accommodation during any phase of the recruitment process, please contact Human Resources. All information received related to an accommodation is kept confidential. To ensure this employment opportunity is accessible to all interested individuals, this posting is available in an alternate format upon request.
Reporting to the President and Vice-Chancellor, the Vice-President, Research and Graduate Studies is responsible for two critical academic spheres at Brandon University, research and graduate studies. The Vice-President, Research and Graduate Studies (VPRGS) will serve on the President’s Executive Committee, the President’s Advisory Council (senior leadership) and on Brandon University Senate. In addition, the VPRGS will work closely with Deans Council (chaired by the Provost) in supporting the growth of research and graduate programming. The VPRGS will collaborate with the Development Office to secure external funding opportunities to facilitate research and graduate student support.
The Vice-President, Research and Graduate Studies will work with accomplished and innovative researchers from within Brandon University’s Faculties of Arts, Education, Health Studies, Music, and Science and will oversee the recently expanded Office of Research Services. Opportunities abound; the Vice-President, Research and Graduate Studies will contribute to the implementation of the University’s Strategic Plan, oversee the implementation of the Strategic Research Plan that will accelerate excellence in research and graduate studies. The Vice-President will play a critical role in the implementation of the University’s first Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion strategy.
As the ideal candidate, you are a transparent, ethical and principled administrative leader who promotes an environment of collaboration, consultation and respect. You have a deep commitment to excellence in research and graduate level teaching and learning, and support faculty in maintaining and advancing a culture of innovation and excellence in research and graduate programing. You value the unique benefits of a small university setting, of direct student-to-faculty access, and of educational programming that supports the growth and success of Indigenous learners. You have a strong commitment to increasing accessibility, equity, and diversity, and the ability to maintain an inclusive climate that reflects the University’s goals related to equity, diversity, inclusion, and reconciliation. You value relationships within, across, and outside the University and actively build and maintain relationships that support University and community goals. Energized by diverse ideas, thoughts and perspectives, you have the courage to support innovative thinking in your teams and champion the strategic initiatives of others.
Experience and Qualifications
- - Currently Tenured Professor at the rank of Associate or Full Professor
- - Outstanding skill in securing national and/or international research grants
- - Skilled and knowledgeable in graduate level teaching, learning and programming
- - Experience in supporting established and emerging research in its broadest sense by ensuring that faculty, undergraduate and graduate students, post-doctoral fellows, and research assistants have access to specialized programs, training, funding and service opportunities
- - Ability to support research that represents and promotes Indigenous ways of knowing
- - Experience in securing and maintaining positive local, regional, provincial and national partnerships
- - Ability to foster and facilitate community-based research
- - Experience working with Research Centres, either as an active participant or in supporting them as an academic leader (such as a Dean or an AVP)
- - Excellent communication and writing skills. Second language is an asset
- - Experience in working with a diverse group of researchers across disciplines
- - Good budgetary skills
- - Strong knowledge of university policies that include but are not limited to; research ethics and compliance, animal care, student supervision, admissions and appeals
- - Experience working with Deans and other academic leaders in establishing new programs and substantially updating existing programs
- - Experience playing a role in promoting and publicizing new and existing research
- -Champion equity, diversity and inclusivity in research and innovation
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in pursuing this exciting opportunity, please apply online at: www.kbrs.ca/Career/16853. For more information, please contact Katherine Frank at email@example.com or Lauren Wright at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Search Committee will begin considering applications on April 24, 2023.
KBRS will provide support in its recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities, including any accommodation that considers an applicant’s accessibility needs. If you require an accommodation to participate as a candidate, please contact email@example.com