Assistant Professor, Biological Chemistry
The Department of Chemistry in the Faculty of Science at York University invites highly qualified applicants for a professorial stream tenure-track appointment in Biological Chemistry (broadly defined) at the Assistant Professor level, to commence 1 July 2023.
The Department of Chemistry is a tight-knit community with over 20 research groups composed of approximately 85 graduate students and postdoctoral researchers. Six additional faculty members in the teaching stream provide a state-of-the-art learning environment to our undergraduate student population currently comprising around 340 Chemistry and 150 Biochemistry majors. For more information about the Department of Chemistry, please consult: https://www.yorku.ca/science/chemistry/.
• Degree: PhD and postdoctoral experience in Biological Chemistry or related fields are required.
• Research Expertise:
o Engaged in outstanding research at the highest level.
o Research excellence of a recognized international calibre (appropriate with their career stage), as evidenced by a sustained record of publication in high quality peer-reviewed journals; presentations at major conferences; awards and accolades; and strong recommendations from referees of high standing.
o Clearly articulated and innovative program of research in Biological Chemistry that aligns with the new research priorities of the Department that span four United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs): Good Health and Well Being, Affordable Clean Energy, Responsible Energy and Consumption, and Climate Action. Areas of Biological Chemistry include, but are not limited to, chemical biology, biochemistry, and biomaterials.
o The successful candidate will be expected to secure and maintain federal research funding.
o Excellence, or promise of excellence, in teaching, as evidenced by the teaching statement, teaching accomplishments, and pedagogical innovations (e.g., high priority areas such as experiential education and technology enhanced learning)
o Suitability for prompt appointment to the Faculty of Graduate Studies, given that the position will involve graduate teaching and supervision.
• Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
• All York University positions are subject to budgetary approval.
• All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens, permanent residents and Indigenous peoples in Canada will be given priority.
• York University has a policy on Accommodation in Employment for Persons with Disabilities and is committed to working towards a barrier-free workplace and to expanding the accessibility of the workplace to persons with disabilities. Candidates who require accommodation during the selection process are invited to contact Prof. Ryan Hili, Chair of the Search Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• York University is an Affirmative Action (AA) employer and strongly values diversity, including gender and sexual diversity, within its community. The AA Program, which applies to women, members of racialized groups, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities and those who self-identify as 2SLGBTQ+, can be found at www.yorku.ca/acadjobs or by calling the AA line at 416-736-5713. Applicants wishing to self-identify as part of York University’s Affirmative Action program can do so by downloading, completing and submitting this voluntary self-identification form.
• Due date for completed applications: October 15, 2022
• Required components: 1) cover letter; 2) current CV; 3) NSERC-style research proposal (5 pages) with a separate executive summary; 4) teaching statement (2 pages max); 5) three letters of reference.
• Candidates must also download, complete, and submit a Work Status Declaration form. This is a mandatory form, and no application will be considered without it.
• Submit materials through: https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/22533
• York is a leading international teaching and research university, and a driving force for positive change. Empowered by a welcoming and diverse community with a uniquely global perspective, we are preparing our students for their long-term careers and personal success. Together, we can make things right for our communities, our planet and our future.
• York is located in Toronto, Canada’s largest city and one of the world’s most diverse. In 2022, Forbes named Toronto one of the Ten Best Cities to Live. York is accessible from downtown Toronto by subway.