Assistant Professor, Education
Concordia University of Edmonton
Concordia University of Edmonton (CUE) strives to be a community of learning grounded in scholarship and academic freedom, preparing students to be independent thinkers, ethical leaders, reflective leaders in their occupations, and citizens for the common good. CUE’s Faculty of Education invites applications for the position of Assistant Professor of Education. The position is available to begin July 1, 2020.
CUE is situated on the banks of the North Saskatchewan River in Edmonton’s historic Highlands neighborhood. Supporting a student body of approximately 3,000, CUE is known for our small class sizes and our excellence in teaching. Our small classes, and diverse student population, provide an excellent opportunity for engaging with students in a sustained and nurturing way unique within the Canadian University system. CUE is also an institution that values research in the sciences, social sciences, humanities and management.
The Faculty of Education works to strengthen the understanding of, and commitment to a braided approach to Indigenous Peoples’ Historical and Cultural Topics, and to comprehensive school health and wellness. Preference will be given to the candidate who has an extensive background and/or scholarship in Physical Education and Wellness.
Requirements for the position include:
• Doctorate in Education or completion of a doctorate prior to December 31, 2020. The doctoral dissertation and publications should clearly focus on K-12 physical education and wellness.
• Demonstrated contributions to the undergraduate program, including teaching undergraduate courses.
• A minimum of 5 years of successful teaching experience at the elementary level in Alberta schools.
• Expertise in additional domains including instruction, planning, assessment, or educational technology.
• Priority will be given to applicants whose research and scholarship include one or more of the following areas:
o English Language Arts Education;
o Science Education;
o Mathematics Education.
• Knowledge of academic programs, with a commitment and ability to advance the quality and content of programs, courses, initiatives and the student learning experience.
• Demonstrated ability to work collegially as a team member with a variety of teams and stakeholder groups.
• Proficiency with Google Email and Apps, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and familiarity with educational technologies, with an aptitude to learn other software as required.
The normal undergraduate teaching assignment is 9 hours per semester in the first year and 12 hours per semester for subsequent years. Faculty are also expected to maintain a robust research agenda. In addition, the successful candidate must assume academic administrative duties and be committed to growing the diversity of and building professional relationships with faculty, staff, students, and the broader community. CUE provides opportunities for reductions in teaching for the purposes of pursuing research.
Interested individuals may contact Dr. Edgar Schmidt, Dean, Faculty of Education for further information at email@example.com.
Closing Date: Please note that this position is subject to budgetary approval. Application review will commence March 1, 2020 and will continue until the position is filled.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience as per CUE’s Faculty Association Collective Agreement. For more details about CUE’s current collective agreement, please see as follows: http://concordia.ab.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Collective-Agreement-Final.pdf
Application packages must include:
• Cover letter (including citizenship/immigration status declaration);
• Curriculum vitae, including a list of refereed publications;
• Transcripts of all graduate-level courses;
• A teaching portfolio including a statement on teaching philosophy;
• Recent student evaluations;
• A statement describing past experience in activities that promote diversity and inclusion, broadly understood, and/or plans to make future contributions.
• Final candidates will be asked to provide three confidential professional and/or post-secondary references.
The successful candidate must be able to provide a satisfactory Criminal Records Check.
Please forward a complete application package to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Concordia University of Edmonton is an equal-opportunity employer. Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The link to our Careers page: https://concordia.ab.ca/careers/assistant-professor-education/