Research Associate - Experiential Education
University of Manitoba
The Centre for the Advancement of Teaching and Learning (The Centre) works with instructors to develop, implement, research, and evaluate various aspects related to teaching and learning in higher education.
The Centre is currently seeking a Research Associate with an extensive background in Experiential Education aspects of teaching and/or learning within higher education. Experience with epidemiological/population-based research studies will be considered a requirement. The successful candidate will engage specifically in a project related to Work Integrated Learning collaborations with Manitoba’s business and industry community. This project requires a high level of independence, yet the ability to work with a larger project team.
Primary responsibility will be to:
• Design and conduct the WED facilitated research studies to examine and investigate work integrated learn opportunities.
• Conduct research activities requiring a high level of autonomy including detailed operational preparation of research projects, collecting and analyzing qualitative and quantitative data, and producing research reports and presentations.
• Conduct research activities that include both qualitative and quantitative methodologies, but qualitative in particular
• Develop and test interventions through research/evaluation studies.
• Maintain collaborative relationships with project team members and collaborating and external partners.
Additional responsibilities for this position include (but are not limited to):
• Work with a team to implement and oversee project plans, seeking assistance and guidance from more senior team members as necessary.
• Participate in research design and instrument development discussions. Designing research surveys.
• Tracking research studies, communicating research to staff and participating in planning meetings.
• Independently manage internal and external workload and work collaboratively with others to ensure that all work is completed professionally and accurately.
• Receive feedback
The successful applicant will report to Dr. Amy De Jaeger, Team Lead – Research, Evaluation, and Innovation.
Qualifications: The successful candidate must have a PhD in community health sciences, psychology, education, health education, or another closely related field and a minimum of two years demonstrated recent research experience in an education-related field (within the last five years).
• Demonstrated experience conducting research studies with human participants.
• Demonstrated ability to apply current/past research experience to teaching and learning in higher education.
• Demonstrated research experience as evidenced by peer-reviewed publications, conference proceedings, and applied experience.
• Demonstrated experience employing qualitative and quantitative methods, and analyses.
• Demonstrated experience in networking with various stakeholders (e.g., academics, community partners, etc.)
• Demonstrated knowledge of research methods as applied to higher education contexts.
• Demonstrated experience with statistical analysis packages (e.g., SPSS, SAS, etc.).
• Ability to design projects using population datasets an asset.
• Exemplary communication skills (written and verbal English) evidenced by the preparation of research reports, executive summaries, slides and handouts.
• Demonstrated presentation skills and ability to receive feedback.
• Willingness and ability to work collaboratively as a member of a team is essential.
• Able to excel in a fast-paced and team-based environment; ability to make sound independent judgments and utilize problem-solving abilities with a high degree of professionalism.
• Receptivity to feedback required.
• Ability to work on multiple projects and coordinate workflow is essential.
• High degree of independence and initiative.
Location, Time Frame and Salary: This position will be based within The Centre situated at the Fort Garry Campus. The position requires a 2-year commitment. Salary and benefits will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Applications will be reviewed immediately, and the position will remain open until filled. The position will commence on December 16, 2019 or as soon as possible thereafter.
Application Submission: The University of Manitoba is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from women, racialized persons, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations and genders, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas. If you require accommodation supports during the recruitment process, please contact U of M’s Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Facilitator, Valerie Williams at Valerie.email@example.com or 204-474-8371. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
All interested applicants should email: 1) a cover letter explaining their research interests, previous research experience and how it relates to teaching and learning in higher education, 2) their curriculum vitae, and 3) the names and contact information for at least three academic references to: Jennifer Clark (Jennifer.Clark@umanitoba.ca).
Application materials, including letters of reference, will be handled in accordance with the protection of privacy provision of The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (Manitoba). Please note that curriculum vitae may be provided to participating members of the search process.
Position closing date: November 30, 2019.